Originally known as the San Francisco Archers Club, the first meeting was held at 50 Oak Street in SF. Secretary Treasuer Dick Hurst opened the meeting with a talk about the past history of the Club and plans for the future. He said that 170 notices had been sent out to all known S.F. archers. Two committees were set up, one to find a suitable indoor range and the other to find a suitable outdoor range. The first issue of The Arrow was published and continues on today. More than 67 years later.
History of the property and Sharp Park
George Sharp, who in 1849 at the age of 22, arrived in San Francisco from New York, by ship around the Horn, originally owned the land now occupied by the golf course. Mr. Sharp was a wealthy lawyer. He spent much of his life living in some of the best hotels in 19th century San Francisco. In October 1882, George Sharp dropped dead in court. Mr. Sharp’s wife lived until February 8, 1905, at which time her handwritten will directed that most of her property be turned over to her attorney, Reuben Lloyd, and to Adolph Spreckels. Both were millionaires. Both were San Francisco Park Commissioners.
Some of Honora Sharp’s cousins contested the will and shortly thereafter, some of the San Francisco properties belonging to the estate were destroyed by fire in the great earthquake of 1906. In those pre-WW1 years, the 410 acre ranch on the remote San Mateo County Coast was valued at about $8,000. In 1916, for $10 in gold, Adolph Spreckels turned over his share of the estate to the city of San Francisco and the county. At this time John McLaren, of Golden Gate Park, began planting trees on the property. Eventually Reuben Lloyd died and his share of the estate went to the executor, Samuel Murphey. Mr. Murphey turned over his share in the summer of 1917.
The Property, now known as Sharp Park, was stipulated to be used for park and recreational purposes only. If this agreement is ever breached, then the property will revert to the State of California, and if the state breaches the agreement, then it reverts to Mr. Murphey’s heirs.